To First Look or Not to First Look?
We always ask in our initial consultation with our clients, "Are you planning to do a First Look?". Following a variety of responses and reactions, it's always great to hear the reasons why couples choose to do a First Look, or not.
What is a First Look?
Sometimes, couples aren't sure what it is, and most times, their parents have never heard of it. Traditionally, the first time a couple sees one another is at the start of the wedding ceremony, and it was considered bad luck otherwise. Family and wedding party formals, along with portraits for the couple are done immediately following the ceremony, during the time that the cocktail hour is taking place.
The current, very popular trend is now for the couple to see one another in a private, pre-arranged setting prior to the ceremony. It tends to be quite a bit more emotional both at the First Look, and many times makes even the walk down the aisle at the ceremony more emotional, as well.
Immediately following the First Look, family and wedding party formals, as well as the couples' portraits can all be accomplished, leaving the couple, family, and wedding party "free" following the ceremony to enjoy the cocktail hour with guests.
Why is it so popular?
Personal Time Together
- Couples enjoy this precious personal time together, perhaps the only one-on-one time they have dedicated to themselves the whole day.
- Any anxiety or nervousness melts away as they cry, laugh, pray, talk, and/or show off for one another, all of which does not happen during a traditional ceremony without this specific time.
- This enjoyment and connection fuels them for the rest of the day.
Portraits & Formals
- It gets this important necessity of the wedding day "out of the way", and can take the time needed to get all the groups needed, rather than being rushed to get it done during cocktail hour.
- Everyone involved also gets to connect and relax prior to the ceremony, when emotions and nerves are at a high.
- Following a lengthy process for getting ready, everyone is at their "freshest" and looking their best.
- Immediately following the ceremony, everyone is able to enjoy their time together with the other guests over food and drink at the cocktail hour.
Talk with us about whether you'd like to do a First Look or keep it traditional, so we can work with you to be sure your wedding day timeline has the proper spacing to get everything you need done. Choosing a First Look or not, your wedding day photography will amazing- no matter what!
Copyright © 2022 Stilwell Photography and Films | 15 James P. Kelly Way, Middletown NY 10940 | 914-443-3678